Two of its common structures are low-density polyethylene (LDPE) and high-density polyethylene (HDPE), which vary in terms of structure, density, and characteristics. They are widely used in regular domestic applications. In the paragraphs below, you will understand the difference between HDPE and LDPE.
Structure of LDPE
- It is abbreviated from low-density polyethylene.
- It has a natural, milky-white color and is translucent.
- It is resistant to chemicals and has a strong impact.
- It has a good stress crack resistance, and a good vapor barrier as well.
- It has excellent alcohol barrier properties too.
Structure of HDPE
- It is abbreviated from high-density polyethylene.
- Like LDPE, its color is also a natural milky white, and as per its density, it can be translucent or semi-translucent.
- It has a very strong impact as well, and excellent chemical resistance.
- It is resistant to stress cracking but has a poor gas barrier.
- Like its counterpart, it has a good moisture barrier.
3. Factors of Differentiation
Structure: It has a good branching structure, including both short and long chains. The chains are not packed into the crystal structure, and this results in mediocre intermolecular forces.
Density: It has a low density, of course, the range being between 0.910 and 0.925 gm/cm3.
- Drop cloths
- Plastic bags
- Film wraps
- Plastic bottles
- Surface protection
- Water bottles
- Food containers
Strength: It has a high ductile nature and mediocre tensile strength. It is not puncture-resistant.
Production: It is produced by means of free radical polymerization.
Flexibility: It is very flexible, and conforms well to surfaces, though it is soft and less rigid, compared to HDPE.
Melting Point: The average melting point is 221 to 239 °F.
Other interesting page: Distinguish PE film and PP film
Structure: It has a very low amount of branching and has strong intermolecular forces.
Density: It obviously has a high density, the value being within the range of 0.941 to 0.965 gm/cm3.
- Storage tanks
- Automobile components
- Chopping boards
- Canal liners
- Liners for oil tanks
- Containment liners for industrial ponds
- Plastic bottles
Strength: It has high tensile strength. It is dense, has a high resistance to puncture, and is resistant to UV rays too.
Production: It is produced by using catalysts, like silica, metallocene, or chromium.
Flexibility: It is also flexible and stretches well, but not as much as LDPE; it is tougher, less malleable, and more rigid.
Melting Point: The average melting point is 248 to 356 °F.
4. Points to Remember
- Both LDPE and HDPE have a host of common properties.
- Both are sterilized through gamma radiation.
- While using them in the manufacturing process, they are thermoformed.
- HDPE is approved by the FDA, hence it passes the safety factor.
- LDPE is also reviewed to be safe, as it is used to manufacture food packaging.
- Recycling them both is done using a method called pyrolysis.
5. A supplier of prestigious and quality plastic films
Union Packaging with many years of experience in the field of providing plastic films and plastic packaging is manufactured from virgin plastic particles and meets FDA standards. Customers can rest assured when cooperating with us because Union Packaging always ensures:
- Customer satisfaction is the number 1 priority
- Outstanding product quality from stable sources of quality goods from Taiwan and China
- Competitive price
- Reputation builds a brand
- Product safety certification
- Fast shipping
- Various payment policies
- Enthusiastic, dynamic, and creative staff
- Providing a wide range of plastic films for packaging materials
- Being a close partner of many suppliers
Union Packaging is a reputable and experienced supplier of OPP, CPP, MCPP, PET, MPET, PE laminated film…. in the industry. We always try to research, develop and improve product quality, improve customer care ability to meet the increasing demands of the domestic and foreign packaging market. Please contact us now: 0987 437 469 – 0903 750 384 for specific advice and quotation.
UNION PACKAGING SOLUTION JOINT STOCK COMPANY
Address: No. 5, 3643A Street, Pham The Hien, Ward 7, District 8, HCMC
Tel: 0987 437 469 – 0903 750 384